Welcome to the adventures of a Culinary explorer...

Welcome to the adventures of a Culinary explorer...

Monday, December 21, 2009

The Holiday Food Competition


















I am so sorry I have taken this long to write about The Holiday Food Competition. Things came up, got sick, blah blah blah... but now here's the story just for you!
On 14th of December, I woke up thinking: I am about to do something I hope to do for the rest of my life. EAT.
We all eat, but this was a different kind of eating. I would get to have good food and judge it along the way...!
All this and more came true in the next few hours. At school, I had one of the lunch tables in the cafeteria dolled up with a crisp white table cloth, flowers, and best of all, prizes. There were signs up, onlookers wondering what in the world was going on (even after the gazillion morning announcements about the upcoming event), and all I had to do was wait for the bell to ring for lunch to start.
Riiiiing!!! And A-lunch came rolling in. I was astonished by the turn-out. My fellow judges: Ms.Dvorak (Don't try pronouncing/butchering that if you don't know french. I call her Ms.D), Ms.Harbin, and Mr.Allen-Black, all showed up with their assigned score sheets and notepads. The tasting began (I'll just let you look at the pictures and let them speak instead of me babbling on about every dish. Note: Some dishes in the pictures are missing, my camera died by the last lunch :( ).
After all the tasting was done, the judges sat down to collaborate scores. Ms.Harbin described the discussion similar to an American Idol judge panel. Haha
After much "discussion" and great judging, we came in agreement with the following winners:
Brandon Edwards for his crab rock-a-feller (very daring!)
Song Naber for her breakfast French muffins (can somebody say...Yum!)
Brittany Stephenson for her rum cake (before pressing charges, alcohol consistency vanishes when cooked. I got your back girl)
Callie Dixon for her ooie gooie pumpkin butter cake with home-made whipped creme (tasted just as good as it sounds)
Amber Cresgy for her beautiful apple pie (the crust on this beauty was a new shade of gold)
Honorable mentions:
Erin Reifsneider for her brilliant broccoli casserole topped with cheese crackers
Casey Hewitt for her gorgeous carrot cake

The event was a major success. Even our Principal came by to visit. There might be another food competition coming up, this time with a mandatory secret ingredient.
I am so thankful for everybody's support in keeping The Skillet sizzling. Stay tuned for more inside stories. =]

No comments: