Welcome to the adventures of a Culinary explorer...

Welcome to the adventures of a Culinary explorer...

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas stash!


This Christmas I got every non-living thing on my list and more! I say non-living because a kitty (I was going to name Brie or Scones) was also on my list, but I guess Santa doesn't make kitties in his workshop. But what he does make is:
-Julie and Julia book by Julie Powell
-The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten
-Are you really going to eat that? Reflections of a culinary thrill seeker by Robb Walsh
-Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl
-Garlic and Sapphires, a secret life of a critic in disguise by Ruth Reichl again
-Consuming Passions by Michael Lee West
-Shaheed Bhagat Singh a biography by Gurdev Singh Deol (For people wondering why such a random book, know I'm a die hard fan of Bhagat Singh--a freedom fighter from India during British rule. He's "the bomb"! Those who get the reference, bravo.)
-A Paris journal (Sometimes I ask why I wasn't actually born there...)
-A Juicy Couture perfume set
-A lovely pair of shoes
-some pretty clothes
-A bicycle
-Movies: Bhagat Singh, Rang De Basanti, and Inglorious Bastards

What a loot huh? Especially with all the food writing books! I really don't know where to begin and end. For now, I've started Julie and Julia to compare it with the movie. And let me tell you, reading this book after seeing the movie, is like having an insider peek at Julie's life. I'm on Day 23 Recipe 34. The sad part is the book doesn't come with Julia's recipes. Although, Julie does explain how to make some of her favorites like the Potage Parmentier and the famous Boeuf Bourguignon. I will write about every food writing book I finish, and let you know my recommendations.
Remember my Sushi blog from two months ago? I said I'd be venturing for some more seafood, and as promised I am. Soon I will be visiting Gene's Seafood Restaurant on Beach Blvd to review their food. I'm Not sure of what to get, I've had (love) salmon (again, if you get the reference, bravo!), and I had mahi at Mimi's Cafe at Town Center... Tuna is one recommendation. Any more for a tropical newbie?

No comments: