Welcome to the adventures of a Culinary explorer...

Welcome to the adventures of a Culinary explorer...

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Crab Cake Beauty

On 2nd January, 2010 (still weird typing 2010...), I stayed home sick all day. I woke up with horrible ear pain, coughing like a dog, and all I wanted to do was stay in bed and sleep. That's basically what I did until evening, when my mother (who has finally given in to joining my blog) brought home four raw crab cakes from Seafood Galley. And some Zyrtec.
All we had to do with the cakes (which were gorgeously placed in the original crab shell, see picture) was brush it with melted butter and bake/fry/microwave. I generally would fry it, but my half dead body wanted food fast. No, I didn't microwave the crab because microwaving means one: you're incredibly lazy, two: the food is going to look and taste like baby food, three: the oven is a better friend.
I brushed the crab with heavenly butter (which I melted in microwave. See now that is ok), and tossed it in my nifty toaster oven set to 350 degrees, for 20 minutes.

While I waited, mom and I had lovely ginger tea with Nonnii's Almond Tusconi, and I was beginning to feel a little better. When the crab was done, I was hesitant to try it at first. I noticed I didn't need a knife, the cake fell apart beautifully just with a fork. And I had my first bite.
The golden brown buttered crust encased something very similar to... mashed potatoes. Crab flavored mashed potatoes. There were crunchy vegetable bits here and there. The overall feeling of the crab cake was warming on the inside. I would've liked some more herbs or spices in the mix though (Indian tongue, what can I say).
But this first timer wasn't a devastating experience (I say this because after I had my first shrimp, I threw up. I still haven't collected the guts to try it again). Crab legs are what I am looking into.

No comments: